A little history:
- Hausmann Passage, built in 1893-1895 by Ephraim Gaussman, owner of the Grand Hotel. The ensemble of the passage was formed by buildings erected in the style of historicism and classicism. The Grand Hotel was the only complex with a Gaussman passage, and the entrance to the passage was through the hotel gate. The passage was open and had one exit to the street. Sistuska (now – Doroshenko Street), 6, and another – on the street. May 3 (now – Sichovykh Striltsiv Street), 3. This was the original name of the street and remained so until 1942.
- The house (11 Svobody Ave.) was built in 1882 – 1884 for the Central Hotel (architect E. Gal). Since then, a sculptural frieze with griffins has been preserved on the facade. At the end of the 19th century. Lesya Ukrainka stopped here. House № 11 in Polish times housed the City Hotel and the Salamander shoe store, in the Soviet Union there was the Lvivyanka Café, and now (since independence) the Grand Hotel.
- Prior to the construction of the hotel in this building was the gendarmerie, where Masoch was born in 1836.
The Lviv Hotel opened 20 years after the opening of the Vienna Hotel. At that time, Lviv belonged to the Austro-Hungarian Empire. All GH in the world are marked by “bohemian”, sophistication, high cost. This is a place where aristocrats rest. People of a certain circle who value endurance of style, refinement, origin and status. There can be only one Grand Hotel in the city! And this hotel does not need a description!
1. What is really happening now with the Grand Hotel Lviv? From a classic refined hotel, it turns into a modern, inspired by the fashion trend of lightness, colors and “dandyism”.
Development of the Aristocracy
- In the heyday (after the Renaissance), fashion reflects the state of people and the world around them. Layered dresses, more feathers. And this is not all that the aristocrats wore before to stand out with the opportunity to afford to buy and wear it all.
- The interior design was the same
- But history is developing, and everything else too. And the manifestation of aristocracy is no exception. Aristocracy in the modern world is a manifestation of “dandyism”. One of the rules of dandyism is to be unpredictable and refute the stamps. This property is more of a wider category of people than dandy – it is an attribute of “fashion leaders”. The fashion leader must have a sense of what will be in fashion soon, and charisma to promote his style and taste. Such people were in all eras: Alkiviad , or, say, the young Petrarca. There are several types of dandyism for the twentieth century, and talking about pop art will come in handy. For example, Andy Warhol, who masterfully used the imagery of mass culture, containing it, however, in ironic quotes. He also had excellent personal performance techniques. And he entered the history of fashion as the author of the immortal combination of jeans + a classic jacket, now called Andy Warhol look.
- There is another type of modern dandy – minimalist, which inherits the principles of classical dandyism, the aesthetics of “noticeable invisibility”. Recall the heyday of black and white photography at the turn of the century, cubism in painting. From the same series in the 1920s – Chanel №5 perfumes, which differed sharply from everything that was then on the perfume market, minimalism of the bottle shape and aldehyde measure, simple and at the same time uncertain. The brightest representative of this type of dandyism in the twentieth century – Coco Chanel.
- This hypothesis is that a new type of woman has emerged since the early twentieth century. This is an emancipated lady who “appropriates” dandy manners and aesthetic principles. Sarah Bernard, Zinaida Gippius, Marlene Dietrich – all these women can be called dandy without much hesitation. Coco Chanel claims this role with the greatest right, because she not only presented herself as a dandy, but also presented all women with English men’s fashion, an inconspicuous comfortable suit, her “little black dress” for women – an analogue of Brahmel’s black tailcoat to save expressive means.
2. It is noticeable that over time, aristocracy has changed its appearance. And this was felt in the manifestation of fashion and visual perception.
The brand that vividly characterizes this transition: from a vivid expression of wealth to a noticeable invisibility – Chanel
- If you study the history of the creation and development of the house of Chanel, it is noticeable that over time, fashion has evolved. From aristocracy (which manifested itself through the excessive use of attributes of wealth) to lightness, endurance, “noticeable invisibility”.
- Coco, like no one else, was determined to change fashion and show wealth. It was her vision that changed the course of fashion history and the perception of a man who reached heights. Minimalism and at the same time luxury, expression-passion and at the same time restraint. Feeling and reflecting this line between white and black has become an art.
- The main differences of this value are still popular and are already being developed by another fashion designer Carlo Lagerfeld. The designer hired by the famous Fashion House is bound by a contract and the independence of his self-expression and judgment has its limits. Another thing is his personal style. Karl Lagerfeld clearly presents himself in public as a dandy. His manners, accessories (fan and sunglasses), recent sharp weight loss, paradoxical statements – all this builds a very structural image. It is symbolic that he stands at the head of the house of Chanel.
3. The Chanel house is a very vivid example / parallel reflection of exactly how aristocracy developed, the manifestation of oneself as a person who has achieved something in life. From Coco to Carl. This evolution clearly shows the whole path of history.
There is a very interesting combination of hotel and Coco style. This is the designer’s favorite place to help combine 1,2,3 points: the history of the Grand Hotel + the development of aristocracy + the reflection of this in the expression of fashion and culture.
The basis of the concept is the process of reviving history in the present! The history of the Grand Hotel, which changes over time, develops, improves. Keeps up with the times and corresponds to the modernity of each stage of history.
To visualize this process, we take as a basis the house of Chanel, which also revolutionized the development of the manifestation of aristocracy, wealth to individualism!
The main components of Chanel’s characteristics were:
- A combination of white and black
- Black little dress
- Bag on a chain
You can use the elements in the organization of the restaurant from the components of the brand Chanel:
- Clothes for waiters: girls (black dress / ballet flats – cut with a black collar. In the hair (everyone’s hair is the same) – camellia (small hairpin)
- We can decorate the menu in a combination of 3 basic colors: black, beige, white and drag the side with a chain in the style of Ko-ko or a ribbon with a camellia.
- Serve dishes in hats (we have ordered a lot of such plates) – and on the side they seem to be decorated like a hat in the style of Chanel
- Maybe you can make cheese chips (from parmesan) in the form of a camellia for serving or caramel (dessert in the form of this flower)
- Or edible serving in the form of pearls
Regarding the name of this restaurant.
If we perceive the Grand Hotel (a hotel with a long history), as the husband of an aristocrat – a stately, famous, steadfast, noble. That is, a restaurant is exactly the detail that, as a woman, follows fashion, developments, is active, flexible and strives for change that attracts her.
But, at the same time, it is devoted to that man (hotel) and is a continuation of Him.
Therefore, the name should be one that would unite: history, changes in aristocracy that have taken place during this time, modernism, which is currently reflected in the interior of the Grand Hotel and modernity, in which the pace of life is moving headlong.
Plus, there is one detail that has emerged – a bit of a distinction between the expectations of the Grand hotel as a classic hotel and what is in the design now.
Suggestions for titles based on the above:
This name characterizes all the activity of events, emotions, styles, stories that lead to change. Which are worth accepting, because the future is near. Plus, this name can beat the expectations of the Grand (as he is around the world), from aristocracy, including And what we have now.
Basic ideas for logo and font: